Sunday, September 11, 2016

Video Killed the Radio Star*

Welcome to country #50--the tiny island nation of St. Lucia! Welcome, and feel free to comment on and/or dissent from these blog posts!

I have a dear friend from my Glee Club days by the name of Joel Colman.  He's the cantor at the Reform Jewish synagogue in New Orleans.  Besides his faith, his music, and motorcycles, one of his great passions is amateur ("ham") radio, which he has participated in since at least his undergraduate days (and probably earlier).

He would tell interesting stories about the worldwide contests he'd enter with his ham radio buddies to see how many contacts they could make in a 24-hour period.  They had interesting and busy lives outside of ham radio, so they'd never win, but they always enjoyed hearing the responses they'd get from other collegiate teams around the world.  U-M's team was one of the first such clubs, and they were numbered by their entrance/acceptance into their association. The U-M team would give their ID, which included their number, and the responding team would always be astonished at the low number for the U-M team.

Why am I saying all this?

I think it's really cool that people from 50 countries out of the nearly 300 in the world have made contact with my blog. I only wish that more folks responded.  Either I'm always right (which is decidedly NOT the case) or I'm astoundingly boring (more likely true ROFL). On this occasion of the 50th country signing in, I would humbly ask that you enter your comments on any of the posts you find interesting.  If you don't find ANY of it interesting, post on THIS one, and I'll try to respond and do better.

Onward.

No comments: