Saturday, September 9, 2017

Alfie* part III

I was a fool for thinking I could make a difference.

It's been nearly four years since I graduated Clarion. Since then:

January 2014-September 2014--Paraprofessional, Chester County Library System

September 2014-June 2015--Adjunct Principal Music Library Assistant, Rowan University--a huge step up, and arguably the best job I've had in my library career.

June 2015-October 2016--unemployed

October 2016-October 2017--Librarian I, Free Library of Philadelphia. I was scheduled to go to the Business Resource and Innovation Center (BRIC) but the HR powers that be decided to not let me do that and put me in a place that was as far removed from my career goals as could be--but admittedly with nice co-workers--and if I'd known that the FLP HR was going to pull the bait and switch on me, I might have said no to the offer, but at the time my disability status was in question, and if I turned down work, even work which I didn't like, I didn't know how that would affect my ability to continue to collect. To add to my aggravation, City and Union rules require anyone with a FLP position to establish residency within 12 months.  I told the family about this and met with nearly unanimous opposition.

Meanwhile, I see friends and colleagues advancing in their careers, morphing into new ones, sending their kids to colleges and taking vacations I can't even dream of affording.  It's wrong to be jealous but...

SIDEBAR: my good friend and classmate Leigh Anne Yacovelli 
was just let go from her job in Hatboro PA.  If you want a top-notch librarian and archivist, you couldn't do better. Leave a comment if you can help her out.

In happier news, welcome Turkmenistan! that's 67 countries heard from. Feel free to register complaints or plaudits, slap me if I whine too much, etc.


*Burt Bacharach and Hal David, 1967; covered by numerous artists.

No comments: