Monday, September 25, 2017

Happenstance*

Serendipity happens!

It is common knowledge that serendipity refers to the unexpected, often pleasant happening. For example, you're looking for your car keys in the morning, and you discover a $20 bill in the pocket of a pair of pants that's gone through the washer. My favorite definition of serendipity came from a professor of communications at the University of Michigan whose name has escaped my memory. He said:

"Serendipity is looking for the needle in the haystack and finding the farmer's daughter".

So I'm applying for jobs yet again and remember sage advice about customizing one's CV and cover letter to the particulars of the advertised position.  Did it, and had success!

You can't just blanket the world with one view of yourself. Be like the apostle Paul--"All things to all people" (1 Cor 9:22, NIV; www.biblegateway.com). I would be remiss if I didn't reprint the whole passage so you can see the context, so:

"I have become all things to all people so that by all possible means I might save some".

He's not saying that we should sway at the mere mention of a breeze, but rather keep yourself open to different ways of communicating your message. You never know what might trigger that conversation, for you OR your audience.


Onward...

*Grover Washington Jr., All My Tomorrows, 1994.

No comments: