Friday, October 6, 2017

My Back Pages*

With less than three weeks to go before I leave my current post, a weird dynamic has risen up.  I don't want to come to any false assumptions or conclusions, but consider this:

1) One of the things I get dinged on in evaluations is not clearing things through superiors.  Since I'm the junior librarian in terms of seniority, I'm expected to clear everything I do and say through SOMEONE in the department.

I'm 57 years old, for Christ's sake. I've been doing this a while. I'm leaving in eight days. Why bring this up now?

2) My supervisor has become more distant than usual. I guess it's her way of dealing with this situation, which started with a royal fxxxup by Human Resources, continued with disunity at home, and I end up once again "taking one for the team" Some team. Some family leadcr I turned out to be. If I did such a great job raising our kids than why do none of them choose to go to church?

3) I am not going to mention leaving to anyone here. Let's see if they remember me with more than a passing "harrumph".

*--Bob Dylan,  Another Side of Bob Dylan, 1964.

No comments: