Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Day in the Life*, part 3

I decided I'd do a "library day in the life" post, even though their website is shut down.  I'm bummed, personally. One of the reasons I started PRISMS is because of that wiki.  I first read it as part of my Introduction to Information Professions class at Clarion University of Pennsylvania, and I thought it would be a good chance to flex my extemporaneous writing muscles, if nothing else.

745am:  After a stop at McDonald's (breakfast burritos, diet Coke), I pulled into the Spring City Library parking lot, which was empty, save for the white sedan that seems to live there.  I picked up the Philadelphia Inquirer and the Pottstown Mercury (our two paid newspaper subscriptions) off of the sidewalk, let myself in, and set up for the morning. I take care of the paging list (materials being delivered to patrons at other branch libraries, except for three items which aren't readily visible.

905am: My co-worker Kate walks in, we exchange pleasantries.  I hand her what's left of the paging list and she makes quick work of it. Like everyone else here, she's a trained singer.  A little unusual, don't you think?  Five on staff and we've all had vocal performance be a significant part of our lives--well, six now, Sandy's new, I don't know that much about her.

1005am:  The doors are open and we get our first patrons, two of the computer "regulars", including a hearing impaired man.  Kate's getting ready for story time.  She really loves the little ones, and they love her.  She, too, has regulars, calling them by name. The CCLS book van is here, making its daily pickup and delivery.  Whoops! Forgot one bag.  Not much in it, and no holds, so no harm, no foul...

1140am:  Finishing a cup of Earl Grey tea after my lunch as I write this entry and decide what to do next.  I talk about "the elephant in the room" in my agendas for Boy Scout troop committee meetings, and in my studies at Clarion, it's the group grant project for 575 (Digital Libraries) class--so I guess that will be next.  I've been good about turning in my work so far this semester although truthfully it wasn't without stress and strain.  I just wish the professors were more timely in their returning work.  I did hear about one class this semester where NOTHING has been assigned, never mind graded.  Not sure what to think there.

215pm:  Slow day.  Floating between www.facebook.com games and www.imdb.com reviews of my all-time favorite movie, William Wyler's The Best Years of Our Lives (1946). I can't think of a story more compellingly told on film than that one.  It's a masterpiece on so many levels. Back to DigLib work!

450 pm:  Wrapping up the day.  Third time was the charm for a six-page fax for a patron (wrong numbers will do it every time).  Not a particularly interesting day, except for (Library Director) Nicole coming in and meeting with the architect.  Moving day is coming! Groundbreaking July 23!  Exciting stuff for our little library. Cheers.

*--Paul McCartney and John Lennon, Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, 1967.

No comments: