Thursday, October 18, 2012

Oh Lord it's hard to be humble*

Well, if you ever need a lesson in humility, take a cataloging class. 

I just took my midterm--worth 40% of my final grade--and sort of bombed it.  I got two of the ten questions perfect.  Not all is lost though.  With the exception of one question, I was able to get MOST of the correct information down for the other eight examples, and he is going to grade these manually. There was one subject heading for which we needed to provide a description, four titles that needed subject headings, three titles that needed Dewey numbers, and 2 titles that needed Library of Congress numbers.  Most of my mistakes were dumb ones--reversing symbols, writing "bibliographies" instead of "bibliography", stuff I would have nailed if I'd had five more minutes to give it another onceover.

The one I missed outright (well, SOME of it is good) had me emphasizing the wrong subject.  I don't want to say too much because there's still people taking the test.

I even went to Mass this morning beforehand, something I don't normally do--just felt the need.  Feast of St. Luke today.  Deacon homilized about "using your talents".  I'm getting better at cataloging, but for now I'm not listing that as one of MY talents.  Onward and upward.
Cheers.

*--Mac Davis, It's Hard to be Humble, 1980

No comments: