Thursday, September 27, 2012

9 to 5*, second shift

It's going to be brief today--there's a lot to do for management class, and of course I'll check my cataloging classwork, but first I'd like to welcome my readers from across the pond!   I was THRILLED to see two page-views from RUSSIA today. Wow!  Please leave comments on what you read, good, bad, or indifferent.  I'd love to hear what you have to say. That goes for my readers in Germany and the UK, and of course here in North America.

I spent much of yesterday organizing raw data from the library director job ads I chose to include in the study.  Here are some ideas on creating job advertisements for academic librarians:

1)  In the interest of brevity and clarity, it would be a GREAT idea for schools to put a hyperlink to their job description in the advertisement rather than cherry-picking items from that job description to add to the advertisement.  Even librarians recognize padded writing when they see it.

2) Proofread, proofread, proofread!  One ad asked for--no kidding--57 years experience as an academic librarian.** And it had NOTHING to do with Heinz (but that's a hint as to what college it was).

3) Same ad--this phrase--"strategic planning strategies".  Can we please be redundant again and again and again?  It's like ordering french fries and a baked potato when you've already had vichysoisse (another hint)**. Hey, HR folks--get someone from the English department (or maybe even the library) to proofread ads for you.

Tomorrow, with any luck, I'll share my conclusions.  Cheers.

*--Dolly Parton, 9 to 5 and odd jobs, 1980.
**--No, I won't tell, but the hints may help you find it.

No comments: